This is a beautiful watch, very similar to one of the first Portugieser watches by IWC, dating back to 1940. The gold inner chapter ring is a motif that helps give it an unmistakable period character (similar to the Certina DS-1 Powermatic 80, also based on a historic piece), reinforced by the old-style International Watch Co. logo. There are many contemporary touches that make the piece even more attractive, such as the curved spring bar that makes the junction between strap and case very neat, the Santoni strap with its chic orange lining, and the fabulous movement, the hand-wound 59215 calibre that can be seen through the sapphire caseback. Power reserve is generous at 8 days, and it is displayed by an indicator on the movement side.
The watch was made in two limited editions, 750 pieces in stainless steel, black dial with green markings, and 175 pieces in red gold, with silvery dial and gold markings. It has great appeal to collectors, a limited edition presented in 2015 and already almost completely sold out. There are no longer any of these watches at IWC’s manufacture in Schaffhausen: there are still a few in IWC boutiques. There is a steel version in the Rome boutique... at least, it was there today... www.iwc.com