Writing for luxos.com - Magazine section guidelines
An article for luxos.com should be compliant with the website's areas of coverage, in particular fashion, watches, jewellery, luxury brands (including niche brands), and luxury travel destinations. We suggest that you view LUXOS editorial material on the website before you start writing. LUXOS searches for expressions of excellence in its field, and therefore it does not publish negative reviews.
For publication, an article should have the following requisites:
- written in UK English
- length minimum 300 words, maximum 800 words
- if possible, it should include practical information that enables readers to purchase the product, or visit the venue. For many brands, global store locations are already online at luxos.com (Store locator), and so these do not need to be added. In the case of city guide venues, this information should include address, phone numbers, website, days and times of opening.
- for the Magazine section, we invite you to provide a title, subtitle and short introductory text. Please remember that the editorial staff at luxos.com may modify title, subtitle and introductory text to render the article more visible to search engines (SEO).
- originality. The article must not be copied and pasted from articles by other writers, from the internet, or from press releases.
- notability. For publication online, the article must be of interest to LUXOS readers, namely the LUXOS luxury community. The decisions of the LUXOS team in this regard are final and indisputable.
- images. Any article or listing should preferably be accompanied by at least 3 images. These should be jpg files at least 900 pixels wide (horizontal images) or 600 pixels wide (vertical images) at resolution 72 dpi. Images should not be copied from the internet. We are aware that sourcing images can be difficult, and so if you are unable to supply images, this will not compromise your chance of success in the monthly selection.
Terms of article submission and publication
You are invited to submit articles and reviews for publication on luxos.com, top online guide to luxury. The LUXOS editorial team will assess your article and publish it without any modifications if the article complies with LUXOS standards of quality. LUXOS reserves the right not to publish your work if, for any reason, it considers it as unsuitable for luxos.com and its readership community. The decisions of LUXOS regarding the publication or non-publication of work online or in printed media is final and indisputable.
LUXOS will endeavour to give submitted work the maximum exposure possible online, utilizing the LUXOS newsletter and social media to bring attention to the new contributions. Each article will be posted after it has been assessed for compliance with LUXOS guidelines, and then it will be tracked for clicks using Google Analytics. Data will be compensated to a month-equivalent (i.e. if an article has been online for just two weeks, data will be doubled). The most successful contribution in terms of online traffic will receive a one-off payment of €150. The work by other contributors in that month will not receive any form of monetary compensation for his or her work published in luxos.com. All contributions published in luxos.com will be carefully evaluated for the possibility of inclusion in a printed magazine within the LUXOS group of publications, and in this case, the author will be contacted with an economic proposal.
By submitting an article for contribution, you unconditionally accept these terms and conditions. You shall retain copyright for the article. You grant LUXOS the right to publish the article on luxos.com free of charge for an unlimited duration of time. LUXOS will contact you with a proposal should we wish to publish the article elsewhere, such as in printed magazines.
LUXOS style guidelines - magazine section
Please use UK English. British vocabulary, eg trousers instead of pants, traveller instead of traveler Single space after full stop.
Date format: 3rd March 2011
Date durations: 29th-30th April
Days of the week for Guide listings etc.: Tues-Sat, (no fullstops), closed on Mondays.
Numbers: spell out numbers 1 to 9, larger numbers in figures, unless it's the first word in the sentence when you spell it. If there are two numbers in the same sentence and one is 10 or over, spell them both in letters.
Spell out fractions and use hyphens - one-half, two-thirds
Figures, numerals, dimensions: 7-year-old boy; three years ago; 1 percent (in editorial), 20% for facts and figures; third grade; size 9; 6-by-8-foot rug; 5 ounces; 68,000-square-foot facility, but: the facility is 68,000 square feet
Always use numerals for the following: ages, sums of money - $1 million, time of day, house numerals, years, days of month, degrees of temperature, proportions, votes, scores, speeds, time of races, dimensions and serial numbers.
20 kilometres (spell out kilometres)
Decades: 1960s, 1970s
Times: 9.00 a.m., use noon and midnight (not 12.00 p.m., 12.00 a.m.)
Hyphenate compound numbers from twenty-one to ninety-nine
Hyphenated words, e.g. T-bone, second word doesn’t have a capital
Quotation marks and commas: the punctuation should be inside the quotation marks. "I'm hungry," he said
-ize, not -ise
Italian phone numbers: tel. +39 02 8738 7400
Spain phone numbers: Tel. +34 city 234 567
Other nations Tel. +44 (0)20 1234 5678
Germany: +34 (0)30 ... some numbers need bracket around zero
Paris phone numbers: +33 (0)1 4477 1040
Phone number groupings: six-figure number: 123 456
Larger phone numbers: always start with group of four digits 1234 567 or 1234 5678
Paris and London addresses need postal codes, because the cities are so large
City names: use English version (Milan, Florence)
Italian addresses: don't include CAP
Capitals: use capitals only for proper names. In titles and subtitles, no capitals except for first word and proper nouns. No full stop after title and subtitle (unless this is followed by the short URL or another phrase). No capitals for chef, boutique, hotel, spa, booking engine, luxury, luxury guides etc.
References to LUXOS: Use LUXOS (capitals) for references to LUXOS magazine; luxos.com (bold Roman) for references to the website
Writing for luxos.com - Guide section
The correct address/phone number data for partner hotels is contained in the Word files stored on MacMini.
This data should be used by copying and pasting from the Word file.
It will be used "as is" for the Hotel Partner List.
It will be used "as is" for the Getaways section, except that address lines can be combined, separated by a comma.
It will be used "as is" for the Guide section, except that address lines can be combined, separated by a comma.
The format of phone numbers, post codes, P.O. Box etc. will always follow the format in the Word file.
In the China issue, in the Guide section listings, the two lines of Chinese in the address will precede the English.
Further reference: http://www.grammarbook.com/english_rules.asp
For any further information, please contact Henry at firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +39 02 8738 7404