San Marco 1, Venice
Sharing the eastern end of the Piazza San Marco with the Basilica is the Palazzo Ducale (Doge’s Palace), the official residence of Venice’s rulers until 1797. In addition to its residential status, the Palace also served as the seat of government, the bureaucracy and the prison of Venice. Originally built in the 9th century, the palace assumed its current appearance in the 14th century. Boasting two magnificent facades, one facing the lagoon, the other the Piazza, the Palazzo Ducale is the most perfect example of Venetian Gothic architecture, featuring multicolored decorations, delicate stonework, and a portico with thirty-six arches. Inside is housed a museum with works from some of the greatest Renaissance artists, including Tintoretto, Veronese and Titian.
9:00-19:00, April + May
Closed on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day